Never miss out on eating out again with this quick and easy recipe for beef and broccoli. It’s gluten free and nightshade free, and a heck of a lot better than take-out.
There are very few dishes that The Husband and I agree on when it comes to Chinese food. I love anything chicken, he doesn’t. He loves the tofu dishes, I don’t. I’ll do soups, he prefers egg rolls. He’ll do seafood, I won’t.
You get where I’m going with this, right?
The two categories that we will unequivocally agree upon? Veggie-packed noodle dishes or beef and broccoli. We’ve been known to occasionally switch things up and go for beef with scallions, but we have to be feeling really crazy to do that.
There are two morals to this story. One, don’t come to a Chinese restaurant with us if you don’t like noodles or beef. And two, it’s a really good thing I started liking broccoli, or we wouldn’t be able to share anything. 😂
But, sadly, our eating out days have been put on hold because eating out with food sensitivities is H A R D.
I’ve had to refine my stir frying skills and get better at making sauces that keep us all going back for more, all while avoiding the ingredients that make me feel like poop. Thankfully, I’ve found a few go-to recipes that make missing out on eating out minimal.
Oh, and P.S., I knew I found a winner with this beef with broccoli when The Babe shouted, I LOVE BEEF after her first bite.
But don’t take my word for it.
Whip up a batch of beef and broccoli tonight and get ready to win at dinner. Your mouth, your belly, and everyone at your dinner table with thank you. They may even shout I LOVE BEEF, too.
Never miss out on eating out again with this quick and easy recipe for beef and broccoli. It's gluten free and nightshade free, and a heck of a lot better than take-out.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 lbs flank steak
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp mirin or rice vinegar
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 tbs corn starch (or arrowroot powder) + 1 tsp water
- Slice flank steak with the grain into long thin strips and then slice as thinly as possible against the grain.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine tamari, garlic, ginger, and mirin. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat a large wok with 1 tbs oil over high heat.
- Add in 1/3 of the beef and brown, approximately 30 seconds per side, and transfer to a bowl. Continue browning beef (adding additional oil if necessary) until all beef has been cooked and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbs into wok and let heat again.
- Add in broccoli and cook, stirring, until broccoli is bright green and crisp tender. Should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Return beef to wok and add in sauce. Pour in corn starch and stir until sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice (or cauliflower rice, quinoa, or as is)!
Nightshade free, dairy free, gluten free, wheat free, and egg free. It can also be made corn free by using arrowroot powder.