I’m officially on the energy bite bandwagon and have these chocolate chip chickpea bites to thank for that. I’ve been having a hard time figuring out what I can eat for a quick dairy free, gluten free, and nightshade free snack that isn’t just piling more fruit and vegetables in my mouth.
At first glance, that probably doesn’t sound like such a big deal. But the truth is, when you’re full on HANGRY and needsomethingimmediatelyoryouwilldie, it’s borderline impossible.
And that’t pretty much how I’ve been feeling all day every day.
I’ve tried my hand at a few of these newfangled energy bite recipes in the past but have never been 100% sold on the results. They either have a weird aftertaste, call for random ingredients that I don’t keep in the house, or sound gross. Except for the chocolate avocado truffle because OMG were they good. And also decadent. And so not a snack because they were dessert.
Turns out, you can have both.
And in case you’re wondering about how these chocolate chip chickpea bites go over with the under 3 crowd, the answer is … amazingly well. The Babe is a big fan and couldn’t wait to get her paws in the bowl to scoop out a little taste (or ten).
Turns out the kid likes chickpeas … when they are masked as dessert.
Which is just fine with me, as I happen to also like chickpeas when they are masked as dessert. Same with The Husband. The SIL. And all of our friends.
A surprisingly delicious treat the whole family with love, even if they don't love chickpeas.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips*
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- Place chickpeas, almond butter, and honey into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- add in oat flour, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract and blend until the mixture forms a ball.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop up 1 tbs of mixture and roll into a ball. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and repeat the process until the mixture is gone. (If mixture is a bit sticky, place a drop or two or water on your hands and get them damp. Too wet, and the mixture will turn to slime.)
- Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before transferring to a tupperware or large container for storage.
Dairy free, nightshade free, wheat free, gluten free, soy free, egg free, and corn free.
*The dairy free, soy free, wheat free, gluten free, and corn free status of this recipe hinges on your choice of chocolate chips. If you are avoiding all of those things, Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips may be the best option, as they are the top 7 allergen free. Otherwise, feel free to use the chocolate chips of your choice.