Monday was a great day. It was my birthday. I made brownies. And we had our first #virtualbookclub chat.
Really, what better way to celebrate your birthday (and book club night) than with a big old pan of brownies?! The only problem was deciding what brownies to make.
Enter in the go-to blog for over-the-top epic sweets, and you have some amazing possibilities. Including this pant-splitting nom-worthy recipe for peanut butter fudge pretzel brownies (aka HEAVEN ON EARTH).
I left off the peanut butter for The Hubster (sadly, it isn’t his thing). The good news…it didn’t detract from the heavenly qualities of this treat.
We may or may not have licked our plates clean to get every single last pretzelly-brownie morsel into our mouths. And I may or may not be doing it again tonight.
Dairy-Free Pretzel Brownies inspired by the glorious Jessica at How Sweet It Is.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 1/3 cups pretzels, crumbled
- 4 tbs (1/2 stick) Earth Balance or vegan margarine, melted
- 5 tbs granulated sugar
- handful of dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 stick Earth Balance, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt Earth Balance.
- Put pretzels into Ziploc bag (or large bowl) and smash to bits. Can be as large or small as you like.
- Add pretzels and sugar to melted Earth Balance and stir until combined.
- Press into bottom of 9x9 or 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle on optional chocolate chips.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- While pretzel crust is baking, move on to the brownies.
- Melt Earth Balance and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and water. Mix again.
- Stir in cocoa powder and flour. Stir until just combined. You don't want to over mix it.
- Spoon brownie mixture on top of the chocolate chips and crust. Spread (pat and push, really) evenly with a spatula.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until brownies are set and a knife comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Share with as many people as possible, otherwise pants will begin to feel tight and become difficult to button.
Nightshade free, dairy free, corn free, and soy free.