This pie comes courtesy of my sister-in-law, Meredith.
It was our dairy-free treat for Thanksgiving. The rest of the family got to enjoy delicacies like Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Cheesecake. Even with all of those tempting treats, I’m pretty sure the Apple and Dried Cranberry Pie was a favorite for quite a few in the family.
With a pie this pretty, it’s easy to understand why.
The original recipe (and one that my SIL followed almost to the letter) is from Bon Appetit.
She assembled and baked prior to me getting there. So I really didn’t have a hand in making it.
I did, however, get to sample it. And savor it. And…you get the picture.
A decadent (dairy-free) treat, perfect for the holidays.
25 minPrep Time
1 hr, 5 Cook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) earth balance, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons (about) ice water
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbs unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 1/4 lbs apples (Golden Delicious, Fuji, or Gala), peeled, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbs brandy (or apple cider)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter; cut in using on/off turns until butter is cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Add 7 tablespoons water and blend until moist clumps form, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 pieces.
- Flatten pieces into disks; wrap in plastic. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, flour and allspice in large bowl.
- Mix in apples, then brandy (or cider) and vanilla extract.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
- Spoon in apple filling, mounding slightly in center.
- Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round.
- Drape crust over filling.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Press crust edges together; fold under. Crimp edge.
- Lightly beat egg in small bowl.
- Brush over top (but not edge) of pie.
- Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie until apples are tender and crust is golden, about 1 hour 5 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; let stand 1 hour.
- Serve pie warm or at room temperature.
Nightshade Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, and Corn Free.