With all of my new dietary restrictions in place, breakfast has been a bit of a challenge for me. And by challenge, I mean I have had to stop eating bread and begin thinking outside of the proverbial breadbox. Which is where this beautiful Apple, Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage Hash came from.
Outside of that proverbial breadbox.
And outside of my comfort zone.
This breakfast is a bit more time intensive than I’m used to, requiring me to actually peel and chop ingredients versus pulling it from the bag and turning the toaster on.
It’s also not something I would naturally be inclined to throw together. Yes, I like apple, sweet potatoes, and the occasional piece of chicken sausage. I just wouldn’t be the first to throw them into a saucepan and call them breakfast.
And I wasn’t.
The inspiration totally came from Well Plated with Erin and her Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes Brussels Sprouts and Sautéed Apples. It looked amazing (minus the bacon and brussels sprouts, of course) and knew that I had to try my hand at it.
My mouth and belly were quite happy with that decision.
And The Babe was quite happy to steal a few bites of chicken sausage along the way.
Breakfast never tasted so good with this Nightshade Free, Dairy Free, and Gluten Free apple, sweet potato, and chicken sausage breakfast hash.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 tbs olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 gala apple, core removed and cubed
- 1 piece of chicken sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onions and sweet potatoes and sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in apple and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken sausage, salt, and pepper and sauté until veggies are fork tender; about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy!
- For a little extra fun, fry and egg and put it on top!
Nightshade free*, dairy free, wheat free*, gluten free*, corn free, soy free, and egg free (so long as you don't top with an egg).
*I use Trader Joe’s Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage and it is nightshade free, wheat free, and gluten free. If you are using a different brand or flavor, please make sure to verify that it does not contain ingredients that would make you sick.