The past few weeks have been a bit hectic and crazy, as I’m sure you guessed by the lack of new stuff showing up on the blog.
One thing that always seems to make me feel more grounded and sane is to get back into the kitchen. Which is exactly what I did. I made a huge batch of soup. And not one but two loaves of this incredible banana bread.
This certainly isn’t the first time I’ve made banana bread. Just the first time using this recipe from Simply Recipes.
What I love about this recipe:
- It uses up a lot of bananas. Which we always seem to have on hand in the freezer. It’s like they multiply in there, or something.
- It doesn’t use a ton of sugar (1/2 cup!).
- It doesn’t use milk of any kind.
- It is easily made dairy free (Earth Balance or oil for the butter).
- I bet it could be made vegan quite easily (flax egg or egg replacer), since it only uses 1 egg.
- It was super easy.
- It didn’t require any mixers, blenders, or special folding in of ingredients.
- It’s delicious.
- It requires very little prep time and minimal effort to have a fabulous homemade treat.
I highly encourage you to try it out. Just be warned, you might need to make two loaves. It’s
kind of addictive.
Nothing like a delicious loaf of banana bread for breakfast, lunch, or an after dinner snack.
10 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup oil (canola, safflower, sunflower, etc.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tbs chia seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour an 8" loaf pan.
- Mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla or almond extract.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour last, mix.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Do a happy dance.
- Slice and serve!
Nightshade free, dairy free, soy free, and corn free.