I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Elvis got me in the mood for some banana cupcake magic (his birthday was January 8th). And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome these were.
I went with a caramel frosting for the top, but bet that peanut butter frosting and a little chocolate sauce drizzled on top would have been divine. I’m actually getting hungry just thinking about that.
The great thing about this recipe (at least for me) is that it calls for four bananas. If you’re anything like me, you have a mutiny of frozen bananas just waiting to be put to use. And when I say mutiny, we easily have 20 bananas in there. Seriously.
Many thanks for Martha Stewart for the inspiration.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp caramel extract
- 5 tbs Earth Balance (or vegan buttery spread)
- 3 tbs Spectrum shortening
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or any other flavor of choice)
- splash milk (soy, rice, almond)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and caramel. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix).
- Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine Earth Balance and Spectrum in a large bowl and mix together with hand mixer on medium speed.
- Reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add caramel extract.
- Add splash of milk to achieve desired texture (smooth and light).
Nightshade free, dairy free, and soy free (so long as not using soy milk).