Remember all of those glorious summer salads? I sincerely hope so. Otherwise, we might need to have another sort of conversation on this here blog. You know, one about memory. And…Wait. What were we talking about?
Oh, right. Summer. And salads. More specifically, Salad #3. The one with those beautiful kidney beans, chickpeas, and red onions. It comes from the annals of Vegan Italiano, one of my favorite cookbooks.
This is the kind of salad that fills you up, without making you feel like putting on that new bathing suit is a terrifying thing. This one is great atop a bed of greens. Or just next to them as a loverly side dish.
The first bite I took kind of hinted at tomatoes, even though there isn’t a single tomato to speak of. Maybe I’m just nostalgic for the flavor. Or maybe it’s the combination of beans with the balsamic that give it that hint.
Even if you don’t think there is a tomato-y essence, you’ll still enjoy it. Because. Well. It’s awesome.
Bean Salad with a Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 16-ounce can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well to combine.
- Let stand 30 minute sat room temperature before tossing again and serving.
- Alternatively, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days, and return to room temperature before serving.
For your reference:
This recipe is vegetarian and vegan. It is also nightshade free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, wheat free, gluten free, cinnamon free, and contains no msg.