Looking for the perfect scone recipe? This. Is. It.
No, seriously. This recipe is so damn good that you will never ever want to share it with anyone else so long as you have a stomach and one free hand to fend them off with.
It’s so good, that I brought an extra one with me to share with a friend and ended up eating it myself. What? She took waaay to long. And I was hungry.
Consider yourself warned. And be prepared to make a double batch. Or hide them so you have a few more for yourself.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbs finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 1 tbs unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil a baking sheet
- Combine earth balance and sugar in large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer.
- Add soy milk, lemon juice, lemon peel, vanilla extract, and mix with wooden spoon. (Will look a little clumpy, that's okay)
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to soy milk mixture and mix with wooden spoon to combine.
- Knead mixture with your hands until all flour is incorporated.
- Toss blueberries in remaining flour in a separate bowl and carefully fold into dough. Don't press too hard or blueberries will explode!
- Form dough into a 1-2" thick disk. (I did this directly on the baking sheet, made life much easier)
- Slice disk into 10 wedges, like a pizza, and arrange wedges onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little extra sugar and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until light brown.
Nightshade free, dairy free, and egg free.
This recipe is originally from the book Sweet Utopia by Sharon Valencik. The book was given to me. For free. By the loverly folks at Book Publishing Company as part of their Luscious Vegan Desserts promotion.
They did not, however, bribe me to say nice things. Or to tell you how amazing this recipe is.