Ah, the humble french fry.
So freakin’ delicious, yet so hard to master the art of making them at home. Unless, of course, you have a deep fryer. Which we do not.
What I do have is a baking sheet (or two), an oven, and some chickpea flour.
All perfect for making these fries.
I originally saw the idea for chickpea fries from my friend, Leah. But I sort of poo-pooed them and turned my nose up at the concept.
I mean, who in their right mind would mess with the perfection of fried potatoes?!
(Apparently, a lot of people.)
The first time I actually tried these bad boys was at Franktuary. I stopped there for lunch with a few of the gals in the Propelle Mastermind Group. My mouth, belly, and brain were all equally satisfied.
After that lunch, I knew I had to try my hand at making these bad boys at home. The Hubster was super happy I did. And has requested that these be on the menu. Weekly.
60 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil (plus more for baking)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- Combine water, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in chickpea flour, 1/2 cup at a time, making sure to remove all lumps. Mixture will thicken pretty quickly.
- Remove from heat and spoon into a parchment lined sheet pan, making sure to level.
- Put sheet pan in refrigerator for at least one hour (and up to 3 days).
- Once firm, slice into desired french fry shape (I cut in half lengthwise, and then in slices).
- Toss in olive oil and place on another parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Turn over, and bake for at least 5 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Serve hot!
Nightshade Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, and Egg Free.