What better way to start of 2011, than with an amazing cupcake recipe.
I had intended to make vanilla cupcakes to bring with us for our new year’s festivities, but ran out of vanilla extract after the first batch. All I had on hand was coconut extract and some shredded coconut.
Weird, considering I don’t like coconut all that much. Must have gotten them from my Mama.
I will say this: I am thrilled that I ran out of vanilla extract. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have thought to make these.
Inspiration for the cupcakes came from this recipe.
Delicious and moist Coconut Cupcakes that are dairy free, egg free, and vegan.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup coconut milk (we used leftover So Delicious Coconut Creamer)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbs Earth Balance (or vegan buttery spread)
- 3 tbs Spectrum shortening
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- splash coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the coconut milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and coconut extract to the coconut milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are okay).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Combine Earth Balance and Spectrum in a large bowl and blend with hand mixer on medium speed.
- Reduce speed to low, and add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add coconut extract.
- Add splash of coconut milk to achieve desired texture (smooth and light).
- Once cupcakes are cool, frost with the coconut frosting. We added some shredded coconut to the top for added flair.
Nightshade free, dairy free, egg free, and soy free.