Delicious, sweet, delicate, moist cupcakes.
When one gets a hankering for cupcakes, there isn’t really anything one can do except make cupcakes.
You won’t hear anyone over here complaining. The Hubster drools just thinking about getting to eat one. His favorite part? The icing. I actually think that Erica is The Hubster’s new hero. The icing was all her.
Vanilla Cupcakes inspired by Fran Costigan of [url href="http://www.bookpubco.com/products/more-great-good-dairy-free-desserts-naturally" target="_blank]More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally [/url].
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 cup + 2 tbs whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbs unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbs brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup milk (rice, almond, coconut)
- 3 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbs Earth Balance (or vegan buttery spread)
- 3 tbs Spectrum Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or any other flavor of choice)
- splash milk (rice, almond, coconut)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cupcake wrapper into baking tins (or grease muffin pan, your choice).
- In medium-large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until ingredients mixed together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, brown rice syrup, milk, vanilla, and vinegar until well blended.
- Pour wet mixture in with dry mixture and stir with a whisk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter among the prepared cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes (though, our oven took about 20+) until the cupcakes are well risen, golden, and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Combine Earth Balance and Spectrum together, and mix with hand mixer on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add extract of choice.
- Add splash of rice milk to achieve desired texture (smooth and light).
- Using a knife, spread frosting over cooled cupcakes.
- Take a bite.
- Take another bite.
- Repeat until cupcake is gone.
Nightshade free, dairy free, soy free, and egg free.