This past weekend, The Hubster and I were in the mood for a little something different when it came to breakfast. I had come across this recipe from Lettuce Pray and knew that it was the perfect something.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s easy and totally flexible. We used our favorite morning ingredients — sweet potatoes, onions, spinach—and built our egg muffins around those. Feel free to add in your favorites.
The not so great thing about this recipe is how much time it takes to make. It’s totally easy and delicious, just takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. A bit time consuming for breakfast, if you ask me.
I will say that the taste is worth it. Just not worth it on a regular basis. Think Sunday brunch. Think fancypants entertaining with friends or family. Think holiday breakfast treat.
And in case you’re wondering, The Hubster said that these are only good the first day after you make them. They loose their deliciousness on the second day.
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and loosely chopped
- 1 cup spinach, wilted in olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- Combine grated sweet potato, canola oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Divide sweet potatoes evenly among 8 muffin cups.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven. and reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- Add onions on top of the sweet potatoes, leaving enough to sprinkle another round on top of each cracked egg.
- Add wilted spinach.
- Crack an egg over each "muffin".
- Sprinkle with remaining onions, and dried parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place back in oven and cook for an additional 10-20 minutes (less for runny yolks and more for more solid yolks).
- Gently slide a knife along the edges to loosen, and pull up with a fork.
- Serve hot with your favorite accoutrements (toast, pancakes, waffles, etc).
Nightshade free, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, soy free, and corn free.