I’m not sure who was more surprised when I told The Hubster we were having pasta with kale in it for dinner. Me, him, or the kale.
You see, I’ve had this love/hate relationship with greens my entire life.
For a while, I loved to hate them. Salad and I were besties, but that was about it. More recently, it’s been a love of raw greens (hello smoothies, green juices, and salads) and an intense hatred of cooked greens (what?! they made me nauseous). So this craving for cooked kale in my pasta was a bit…odd.
My taste buds must be growing up. Or something.
The idea for this plate of awesomeness came from watching a cooking demo from the lovely Janet McKee at the Farm to Table Conference over the weekend.
It was also inspired by the beautiful campari tomatoes that we found at Costco. And the 10lb bag of onions that I now have to use in every single meal. As if that will be difficult.
Kale-i-fied Pasta with Tomatoes and Beans
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1lb pasta of choice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4--5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-15 campari tomatoes (or roma tomatoes)
- 6-7 leaves kale (regular or dinosaur), washed, destemmed, and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil (1-2 tbs fresh)
- salt + pepper to taste
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-0z) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs white balsamic
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic, and saute 2 minutes more.
- Add kale and stir until it begins to turn bright green and wilt.
- Add basil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and navy beans; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Serve atop your favorite pasta and enjoy!
Dairy free, wheat free*, gluten free*, corn free, soy free, and egg free.
*The wheat free and gluten free status of this recipe is dependent on pasta choice.