This recipe comes from the Vegan Italiano by Donna Klein.
Let me start by saying that this is one of the few recipes that I have made that I have not had to change. At all. As in, it was 100% nightshade free, dairy free, cinnamon free, and vegetarian all on it’s own.
I think I just fell over from excitement.
This bad boy is high in iron (thank you lentils), packs in a whopping 18g of protein per serving, and is a great source of dietary fiber. It also has a great texture. The onions and lentils were so soft that they sort of just melted in the mouth.
Lentils and Pastina Soup from the Vegan Italiano Cookbook by Donna Klein.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup pastina, orzo, or other tiny pasta
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rosemary and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add water, lentils, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are just tender - about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and return to a boil over high heat.
- Add pastina (or orzo), reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender yet firm to the bite, 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nightshade free, dairy free, corn free, egg free, and soy free. It can also be made wheat free and gluten free depending upon choice of pasta.