When doing the menu planning for the week, I asked The Hubster if there was anything he wanted. And (much) to my surprise, he actually gave me a real answer: “What about some soft taco-ish thingies with black beans or something?”
Not really knowing what the heck soft taco-ish thingies (or even real soft tacos, for that matter) were, I promised to put it on the menu and do some research for a real recipe. I searched high and low and came up with a few great choices, including these. There were a few others with fun ingredients like lime juice, corn, apples, and black beans.
When I told The Hubster about my plans, he quickly vetoed any that involved sweet potatoes. He also turned his nose up at the apples. Harumph.
I listened when it came to the sweet potatoes, but felt like it needed a little F-U-N. So I sauteed apple with shallots and some onion and put it on the side for me. If you prefer to leave out the apples, so be it. But I wouldn’t recommend it.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, with liquid
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 gala apple, cored and chopped into pieces
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- package small tortillas
- lettuce, spinach or other green of your choice
- lime juice
- Warm tortillas in oven or toaster oven. Be careful not to over cook or burn.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet.
- Add onions and shallot and saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in apples and saute for another 3-4 minutes, until apples are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place can of black beans + liquid into same skillet. Mash beans with back of spoon and heat over medium-high heat for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add oregano, cumin, garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in corn, cook for another 1-2 minutes or until warm.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble your tacos in the following order: tortilla --> lettuce --> beans + corn mixture --> onion + apple mixture --> sprouts.
- Fold in half and eat, smile, enjoy!
Nightshade free, dairy free, wheat free*, gluten free*, soy free, and egg free.
*The wheat free and gluten free status of this recipe is dependent on choice of soft tacos. We used corn.