Growing up, one of my favorite comics was The Far Side, by Gary Larson. I routinely guffawed it up on that strip.
One that has always stuck in my head was a little one-off about asparagus. It was entitled “Failed Marketing Ploys” and had an faux ice cream truck with a cute little asparagus on top and this little diddy on the side:
I cuss. You cuss. We all cuss for asparagus!
To this day, every time I pick up a bunch of asparagus, see it on a menu, or look at a picture of those green stalks, that little number runs through my brain.
(Make it stop. Please.)
We normally have our asparagus straight up, drizzled in a bit of olive oil, a few cloves of garlic thrown in for good measure, and the perfect pinch of salt and pepper.
Last night, I took it up a notch. Stepped up my game. Up-leveled the asparagus.
That’s right. I added a little Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette to the mix. And while the recipe might seem a little familiar, the application is certainly different. And oh so worth it. That is, of course, if you like asparagus.
I do think this marinade would be equally delicious atop some wilted greens, roasted squash and other root vegetables. Even a green bean or two.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette (see below)
- 1 tbs onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse clean the asparagus, breaking the tough ends off.
- Place in a baking dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whip up a batch of the Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette: combine all ingredients (onions through oil) in a bowl (or jar) and whisk (or shake) to combine.
- Pour 1 cup of the vinaigrette over the asparagus.
- Place in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork.
Nightshade free, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, corn free, soy free, and egg free.