My parents came to visit this weekend, which meant a lot of eating out. After about seven straight meals out, we were all craving a little home cooked food and some time at home.
What we (and by we, I totally mean ME) weren’t craving was a long prep time, a belabored meal, or a complicated mix of anything.
And that’s exactly what this meal was: simple, easy, and to the point.
The vegetables that went in with the noodles were the vegetables that we could all agree upon: carrots, snow peas, onions, and water chestnuts.
You could put in whatever vegetables you agree on.
The Hubster and I had this one night when I totally didn’t feel like cooking, totally didn’t know what to cook, and totally had zero interest in ordering out.
What we totally weren’t expecting was for it to be delicious.
I will say that the enjoyment of this dish is contingent upon the quality of the udon noodles you use. The ones we found were KA•ME Udon Stir-Fry Noodles, and were fab. They just come in these teeny-tiny vacuum sealed packs enough to serve one.
Next time, we are definitely going to hit up on Asian market to find a bigger (and fresher) bag of udon noodles.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbs cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup snap peas, chopped
- 1 (8-oz) can water chestnuts
- 2 (14-oz) packages of KA·ME Udon Noodles (or 1lb of linguine, cooked)
- Combine tamari, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large saucepan.
- Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add carrots and snow peas and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts and stir.
- Add udon noodles.
- Pour in tamari mixture. Stir until sauce thickens and noodles break up. If you are having trouble with the noodles, add a small amount of water (1/4 cup at a time).
- Serve and enjoy!
Nightshade Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free.