Strawberries are perhaps my favorite of the summer delicacies. Sweet strawberries at the peak of sweet perfection during the months of June and July. I don’t really think there is much better.
Except, perhaps, when they are sandwiched between layers of oats + brown sugar.
These bars are the perfect mix between a breakfast bar and a decadent brownie (or blondie). Which means that they are perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
And with good, wholesome ingredients like strawberries, rolled oats, and whole wheat flour…there is absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. Nothing.
Except. Well. Wanting to keep the entire batch for yourself. I’m lucky. I don’t have to share. The Hubster is avoiding strawberries for a while.
But I would. You know. If he wanted them. (Maybe.)
Now go and make these strawberry oat bars. It’s your patriotic duty.
A delicious summer time treat that is perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, [em]and[/em] dessert.
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Earth Balance or vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x9 pan.
- Combine Earth Balance and brown sugar and mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Stir in the oats and the water, by hand.
- Press half of batter into a pan.
- In another bowl mix together the strawberries and sugar, mashing the berries slightly so that the juice runs.
- Spread the berries over the first layer of batter in pan.
- Top with remaining oat batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Nightshade free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, and egg free.