Day 6 of The August Break is all about diagonals. Which is great, considering I’ve been wanting to post about these bad boys for a solid week now.
I made these for the August session of the Propelle Mastermind. They were such a huge hit with the ladies, that I only got to bring home a single solitary bar. That seriously never happens!
They were also a huge hit with The Hubster (who enjoyed that last bar).
All I want to do now is make them. Even play around with ingredients like chocolate chips, whole peanuts, sunflower seeds, and the like.
Which is a bit ironic considering I have always been intimated by homemade granola bars. I don’t know if I thought it took crazy ingredients, or if I thought you had to bake them all afternoon.
It’s all just crazy talk.
You know what was the most frustrating and time consuming part? Wrapping them up and tying them with twine.
And that took all of 5 minutes. Total.
They had to be ready for their close-up, Mr. DeMille.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sun butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)
- 1 tbs oil (canola, safflower, sunflower)
- 1/3-1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving enough paper to grab (about 2-inches). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats and puffed rice cereal. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan (or microwave safe mixing bowl), combine sun butter, oil, and honey. Heat mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat, pour in vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Pour sun butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer mixture into prepared baking dish and firmly press into an even layer.
- Cover and put in refrigerator to chill, about 30 minutes.
- Lift bars from dish using overhang and cut into desired shape.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 7 days... if they even last that long!
Nightshade Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free*, Gluten Free*, Soy Free, Corn Free, and Egg Free.
*The Wheat and Gluten Free status of this recipe is dependent upon your choice of oats AND your choice of puffed rice cereal (some contain barley malt, so please read labels if this is problematic for you).