French fries are definitely soul food for me. They are seriously something that I could eat at every single meal and not get sick of them. Like, ever.
With not being able to eat french fries (sweet potato or regular) in restaurants, I’ve been on a quest to perfect them at home. I haven’t quite hit the mark (they are still lacking that crispness on the outside), I’ve had a fun time experimenting.
45 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced evenly into french fry like shapes
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Soak cut sweet potato strips in ice cold water for 30 minutes.
- Pat dry, making sure to get all of the moisture off the strips.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Toss with corn starch, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking sheet (or two) lined with parchment paper. More space is optimal
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, then flip and repeat. Keep a careful eye out for any burning. It happens quickly.
Nightshade free, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, soy free, and egg free.