We had a barley dish on our menu last week, but didn’t end up getting to it. Apparently, we weren’t feeling it.
Unfortunately, I had just bought a bag of barley. And it was sitting pretty, waiting for it’s turn to be used. So, it went back onto the menu in a different form: soup. Fitting, considering it’s been colder-than-you-know-what in Pittsburgh.
Be warned, this soup is incredibly filling. It is also very bright and cheery. Seriously. It is!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, sliced and diced
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 9 cups water
- 2-3 tbs parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, add oil, garlic and leeks and heat until transparent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add barley, carrots, cabbage, sweet potato, celery, water, and parsley. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender; 25-30 minutes.
- Pull out some sweet potato chunks and carrots. Puree until smooth. Add back into soup and mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Nightshade free, dairy free, wheat free, corn free, soy free, and egg free.