The Hubster brought home some of the most massive zucchini I have ever seen. A neighbor of the family grows a small garden and usually bestows some of the jewels upon our family.
And every summer we struggle to find ways to use up the bounty. And since we haven’t been getting the delicious red and green bell peppers (stupid nightshade intolerance), we have been getting straight zuc’s.
The other challenge is that I despise don’t love zucchini. So I have to find ways to hide the taste. Zucchini bread has always worked well, but it gets old after the 5th loaf.
So, I tasked The Hubster with finding a new recipe for zucchini bread and whatever else he could find. And to my surprise, he found one that paired the zucchini with the lovely blueberry. Odd and yet, totally amazing.
While we were waiting for our tempeh to marinade and sweet potatoes to cook, The Hubster made two loaves of this divine bread. And they turned out amazingly well.
We used this recipe as the basis for our fun.
Zucchini and Blueberry Bread
10 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Nightshade free, dairy free, and soy free.