One of The Babe’s favorite books as of late is That’s When I’m Happy by Beth Shoshan + Jacqueline East. It’s a sweet book about a little bear and his parents, and the things they do together that make him happy.
There’s a line in the book about the bear’s daddy picking out a special leaf; one that is “…deeper, darker, redder than all the others.” It makes the little bear feel special and loved.
On our drive up to Soergels over the weekend, the scenery was incredible. The trees were changing colors with beautiful oranges, yellows and reds coloring the hillside. And then at lunch, we parked in front of the most magical shrub, whose leaves had turned a deep, dark red.
I was again reminded again of this line; of the red leaves and the happiness that it brought the little bear.
Whenever we read this little book together, I spend a few moments after thinking about what makes me happy. What is it that can bring a smile to my face and joy into my heart? Serendipitously, one of the prompts from the #30daysofjournaling challenge that I’m running was to create a list of 20 things that make you happy.
Now, on those days when I’m a little bit sad, I can find my way back to being happy, too.
20 things that make me happy:
- Seeing The Babe’s smiling face
- The Babe’s giggles
- My husbands love and support
- Creating, drawing, painting, designing
- Self-care: massage, journaling, meditation
- Reading a great book
- Conversations with friends: digging deep, connecting and sharing
- My family
- Kitchen dance parties
- Watching other people make inspired change
- Seeing the impact of what Kate and I are doing through Propelle
- Pretty things: art, handmade goods, beautiful designed rooms, fabric…
- Cooking and serving delicious food for people I love
- Fun pens
- A hot mug of apple cider and curling up under a blanket
- Hitting our financial goals
- Watching my husband grow and evolve
- Watching my husband and our daughter together
- Long, uninterrupted showers
What about you? What makes you happy? Could you come up with a list of 20 things right now?